News Releases

North Shore Gas

For Release: 01/27/2012

North Shore Gas Provides Tips on Carbon Monoxide Safety

Waukegan, IL - As a number of Carbon Monoxide (CO) related incidents have appeared in the news lately, North Shore Gas wants to remind residents of the importance of having a working Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector in their homes. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can cause sickness and in some cases, death.

"Winter is the season when North Shore Gas receives the highest number of CO calls," says Jennifer A. Block, director of Media Relations. "The presence of carbon monoxide detectors can save lives."

Block says that safety and reliability is at the forefront of the utility's mission when providing natural gas delivery service and provides the following information to ensure that customers are engaging in safe practices while using natural gas.

  • It's extremely important that residents have a working carbon monoxide (CO) detector as required by Illinois law in their homes and apartments. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed within 15 feet of sleeping areas. Batteries should be changed every six months to ensure they are working.
  • Carbon monoxide can come from inadequately burned fuel and improperly vented appliances, such as water heaters, furnaces, space heaters, boilers, ranges/stoves, clothes dryers, grills, fireplaces and portable generators. Never use an oven or stove flame as a means to heat your home.
  • Residents should have their appliances inspected and/or repaired by a licensed or certified technician. Having an unqualified person connect, inspect or work on your appliances presents a safety hazard that not only puts your household at risk, but can pose a danger to your neighbors. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:
    • Sudden flu-like illness
    • Dizziness, headaches, sleepiness
    • Nausea or vomiting
    • Fluttering or throbbing heartbeat
    • Cherry-red lips, unusually pale complexion
    • Unconsciousness
  • If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, you should leave the premises immediately, get to a safe location and call 911 first, then the North Shore Gas emergency number at 1-866-556-6005. If your CO detector should sound an alert, and you are not experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning you should leave the premises immediately and contact your HVAC professional. For more information on CO safety, please visit

In addition, whenever natural gas service has been disconnected, there are certain steps that must be taken before service may be restored. It is the customer's responsibility to make proper arrangements with his or her natural gas company for service reconnection. Recognize that tampering with natural gas services, meters or any other utility equipment can create a serious safety hazard and is illegal. Tampering with natural gas facilities can cause leaks and endanger not only those who tamper with the utility facilities, but also their neighbors and the community as well.

If you should come across any suspicious activity, including tampering, illegal hook-ups and/or the unauthorized moving of meters and service pipes, please call the North Shore Gas emergency number at 1-866-556-6005.

About North Shore Gas

North Shore Gas, a subsidiary of Integrys Energy Group, Inc. (NYSE: TEG), is a regulated natural gas delivery company that serves approximately 158,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers located in 54 communities within the northern suburbs of Chicago. For more information about North Shore Gas visit the company's website:

For More Information, Contact:

  • Bonnie Johnson
    Manager, Public Relations
    (312) 240-4567
    (312) 907-7333 (CELL)