For Release: 10/06/2015
Bow Hunters Return To Woods
Hunter Safety Should Include Heating Safely
Monroe, MI – Michigan Gas Utilities advises all outdoor hunting and fishing enthusiasts – particularly deer bow hunters – returning to their cabins, shacks, campers, tents and shanties, to be extra careful when restarting their heating systems. A careful inspection should be done before each heating season to make sure heating equipment is working efficiently and venting properly. Insufficient venting can lead to a lethal build-up of carbon monoxide (CO) in living spaces.
CO is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that can be produced by any heat source that burns fuels such as propane, kerosene, wood, gasoline or natural gas.
Heating safety tips for hunters
- Install quality smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors and make sure they are tested and working properly.
- Replace and recycle old batteries in both CO and smoke detectors and test them to make sure they produce an audible warning sound.
- Initial signs of CO poisoning include flu-like symptoms of headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and confusion. If CO is suspected, get outdoors immediately, leaving windows and doors open to get fresh air inside, and then call emergency responders at 911.
- Venting on fireplaces, wood stoves, gas stoves and furnaces is designed to carry CO and other combustion products to the outdoors. Chimneys and vents can get plugged by animal or bird nests, leaves or snow and ice.
- Small propane heaters and stoves, kerosene, wood burning and charcoal grills also produce CO buildup when not vented properly.
- Never use gas or charcoal grills and gas ovens for heating.
- Portable heaters are available in many retail stores. Always follow manufacturers' recommendations for safe operation.
Additional safety tips can be found on the company's website: www.michigangasutilities.com.
For More Information, Contact:
- Nicholas Krzeminski
Manager- External Affairs
- Media Hotline 800-977-2250