For Release: 04/14/2017
Customers, outdoor enthusiasts reminded to be mindful of increased river flows
With spring underway, Wisconsin Public Service (WPS), We Energies and Wisconsin River Power Company (WRPCO) encourage customers and outdoor enthusiasts to be mindful of increased river flows around each company's hydroelectric facilities.
Water from melting snow and ice can significantly raise river levels and increase river currents during this time of year. In the past week, WPS, We Energies and WRPCO have each seen river flows increase at their respective dams.
Outdoor enthusiasts who use rivers and reservoirs around dams need to follow several safety precautions. These precautions include:
- Obeying all warning signs.
- Heeding horns or sirens.
- Being aware of rapidly changing water conditions.
- Practicing safe boating and swimming.
- Carrying a cell phone to contact 911 in an emergency.
- Wearing a personal floatation device (PFD), a life jacket.
- Staying outside buoy lines and away from restricted areas near dams.
- Having a safe escape route planned, and being prepared to evacuate at the first sign of danger.
For More Information, Contact:
- Matt Cullen
- Media Hotline 800-977-2250